Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What is the end state of your life?

Have you asked yourself this question? I met a new friend today and I was actually totally dumbfounded when he asked me what do I want to achieve at the end of my life? I had, or should I say I have. I have so many in mind that I don't know how to achieve them.He gave examples like Bill gates. Why is he the third richest man in the world? And that since he is so rich and still working for more money? Is he so money minded? Most people will say "yes, he is". Then what explains the charities that was headed by him.

He gave me another explanation. Producing good computer software is his passion. And when he met his target, he wanted to repay the society by doing charity. He painted Bill Gates' goal clearly right in front of me.
Another example he gave was Mentor-Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew. People has been questioning for years now for what reason he refused to step down. Speculation went that he refuse to give up power, etc. All sorts of negative stuff were on this issue.

He gave me another explanation. Singaporeans are his babies and how would a parent bare to see his children suffer? That is why he couldn't step down. His passion on driving Singapore better made him stayed on. Admirable view on this issue. I had never thing in this aspect.

Then why is there so many negative remarks? Most people are jealous of great man's achievements and they will do anything to pull down great man's achievements. Even go to the extend of petty behavior of badmouthing. Human's mentality, he claims.

Like the recent case of MSK's escape, PM Lee mentioned that while the government must admit its mistakes openly and honestly, Singapore should not encourage a culture where officials resign whenever something goes wrong on their watch, or encourage witch—hunt.

All four limbs up for his statement for me.

What about these people's past achievements? Haven't Singapore been safe since Independence? Why judge people with a mistake that may not even his fault? Human's mentality, I say.

Coming back to my point, I really should think what do I want to achieve in life. I can't live life aimlessly.

Till then.

No comments: