Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Singapore Site Seeing Tour - Chinese Clan Associations

I passed by about three Clan Association, namely Ying Fo Fui Kun (应和会馆), Fuk Tai Chi (福德祠)and Hainan Hwee Guan (海南会馆).
Ying Fo Fui Kun was one of the first clan associations in Singapore. It started out as a Temple, serving the needs of Hakka immigrants from Jia Ying prefecture in Canton. I couldn't find much english historical information about the association, only those in wikipedia.

A typical look of a chinese town hall.










Fuk Tai Chi is not exactly a clan association, but more like museum. Best thing is this museum is right infront of Far East Square. It has plentiful of artifacts from the past.









Some artifacts of the museum.

Talking about Far East Square, they have gates by the names of the 5 elements (金,木,水,火,土). Disappointingly, they are lacking of wood(木) and earth(土) ones.









The last clan I went was of my own dialact group: The Hainan Hwee Guan. It is not exactly near the previous two places I went, but I thought I should just lump them together. I searched through the internet to find some information about my own dialact group.

Before the Han Dynasty, Hainan Island was known to be only fit for exiles. The actual first migrates are the Li People from Guang Xi came in and displace the Austronesian-Speaking people. But these are still considered minority.

It was only until the Song Dynasty when large numbers of Han Chinese settle at the northern part of the island.



No comments: