Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back to Homeland Day 5

We headed to our ancestral home on the fifth day of the visit. It has been nine years since the last visit. I had almost forgotten how it looks like already. I only had memories my late Grandfather taking up the drumstick and beating the drum.
But first of all, I stumbled upon the village's school. The school my grandfather had contributed alot to.
The school had my grandfather's picture to commemorate his contributions, along with other contributors. That is my grandfather at the center. It was taken from the walls of the school. This is my ancestral temple. A chicken was slaughtered as an offering to our ancestors.
This is the one of the village padi field. A picture of my grandparents and relatives wedding photos.
This was where the family started, at least to when photographs are common. This are my great grand parents.
This was the bed made by my Great Grand Father for my Grandfather's wedding. My goodness, it is still around! It would have been at least half a century old.
In Singapore, we were never allowed to play with firecrackers. But here, this was my first time lighting one up.
This was the spread they had prepared for us. They have a lot of vegetables and also that fatty pork you can never find in Singapore.
This is the land that my grandfather bought in Hainan Island. My goodness! I have a family land!
We had quite a lot of fun plucking coconuts and enjoying them.
The animals you can find in the village.

No comments: