Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Meaning of Photography

It was a eventful evening on Sunday when I met up with an old friend, Ai Ling. Being artistically inclined, Ai Ling suggested that we go to a photo gallery behind The Cathay in Orchard.

Initially we wanted to walk the inner gallery but it was closed. How unfortunate! But it was a blessing in disguise, there was a outer gallery with quite a good spread of photograph. We spent about half an hour looking through the photographs.

We shared our feeling of the photographs thereafter and we had different views of just one photograph. It made me realized that a still picture, though picturing stationary image, it can have many interpretation. It made me realized that one can see stories behind pictures. It was a captivating beauty that had rekindle my flame for photography, which was lost a month now.

She carried on to share with me the use of her DSLR. It had added oil to my passion of flame.

I went on to research the next few days. I looked into many photographs and had different light to them.
This is a picture from Cosmin Bumbut, a fashion photographer. What would you see in the picture? What I saw was helplessness. A women being robbed in the tunnel and there is no one else to turn too.
Take look at the picture, what do you see? I saw a lady, probably happy, running with a dog.

The truth about the picture is that this lady is running for shelter during a air raid. It was a picture by Robert Capa, a Combat photographer during WW2 peroid.

"A Picture Speaks for more than a Thousand words." A picture can say many things, it is how you perceive.

No comments: